Jackson and his wife, Mary, were on a road trip along the eastern seaboard in 2019. On the way home, Jackson had a craving for oysters and suggested they stop at a high-end restaurant. Mary did not eat the raw oysters.
Within 48 hours, Jackson fell seriously ill and was hospitalized. His condition deteriorated rapidly, and within 72 hours, he succumbed to sepsis. Shockingly, doctors had to amputate both of his legs, and they were contemplating removing one of his arms before his passing.
Jackson had contracted Vibrio vulnificus.
Mary called nationally recognized Vibrio attorney, Scott O’Sullivan, who uncovered disturbing facts about Jackson’s ordeal. The restaurant had served oysters that were 17 to 28 days past their expiration date. Moreover, during the time the oysters were stored, a hurricane had struck the area, resulting in a power outage. This caused the oysters to reach temperatures above 42 degrees, creating the perfect environment for Vibrio vulnificus to thrive.
Initially, the restaurant’s legal team hesitated to settle the case, believing they could prevail in court. However, during mediation, Scott presented a compelling case with the evidence he had amassed. Faced with the prospect of a losing trial, the restaurant eventually agreed to a settlement.