The O’Sullivan Law Firm is proud to partner with Erico Motorsports to help bring two-wheel trends and safety news to a broader audience. On regular basis, Erico’s very own Tai Beldock will share her thoughts on everything from motorcycle gear to scooter safety.
By Tai Beldock, Erico Motorsports
It’s really fun and economical to own a scooter, but safety is probably the most critical component to being a two-wheel enthusiast. Too often, I hear people talk about scooters like they’re toys. Scooterists who don’t take riding safely seriously would be making a big mistake.
Whenever someone buys a Vespa from Erico, we tell them the following:
- Wear a helmet: Even though Colorado is a no-helmet-required state, we always recommend riding with a helmet. It’s your head we’re talking about! Once it hits the pavement, your life changes… and not for the better.
- Wear gloves: What is the first thing you stick out when you’re falling? Your hands. They will likely take the first impact and I have seen some horrific hand injuries from people who were not wearing gloves.
- Wear a protective jacket: Yes, “even on a scooter.” Even in the heat of summer, you should always wear a jacket that includes body armor to protect your spine.
- Take a class: In my last article, I wrote about how easy scooters are to drive. And they are! But that doesn’t mean you’ll know how to maneuver it safely on the road. Take a scooter safety class to learn important skills to keep you safe. One that I personally recommend is the Motorcycle Rider Training Center, MRTC-RiderEd.com.
- Being cute isn’t important: Don’t ride in flip flops. Or high heels. Or skirts. You might think that you look really fly in your high heel shoes and your flowing skirt, pretending that you’re in Paris or Rome, but when you go down, you won’t look so cute any more.
I love my scooter and I ride it all the time! But you would never catch me on it without protective gear. As your mama used to say, “Better to be safe than sorry!”
ABOUT ERICO MOTORSPORTS
Erico Motorsports has been a full-service Vespa dealer since 2004. We always carry the most current models and every riding accessory available. In addition, our team of factory-trained technicians are dedicated to providing you with quality service in a timely manner.